Painting with preschoolers

Posted by Annie On 3/23/2011 07:57:00 PM 0 comments

All during Lent - the time between Ash Wednesday and Easter - my church is hosting soup suppers for the congregation/local folk/whomever would like to attend. Each Wednesday a different ministry at our church hosts the soup supper and provides soup. I am in the following ministries: worship and prayer, faith formation, catechists, youth ministry, and Mr. Bean is a sponsor for a child. This means that out of 5 soups suppers - I have to make soup 5 times. Yeesh.

Also, during this time we are hosting a session with the pastor to talk about faith issues. All the adults are invited. I have however been seated at the "kids table" and am in charge of the children's activities. I like it though. It's a change of pace. A really interesting time where I trade in my "youth ministry for teenagers" mindset to work with preschool-3rd grade kids.
Here are some things I learned tonight about little children:

1. When you mention that you are going to play "Fishes and Whales" - they erupt into joyous shouts of "I KNOW THAT GAME!!"

2. When you teach song, hand motions are always welcome.

3. Stickers are amazing motivators for good behavior and answering questions.

4. Directions like "sit in a circle" are actually a lot harder than you may think.

5. Paint is a lot messier than you may expect.

Here is a list of things I already knew and were reinforced tonight:

5. "Fishes and Whales" is a great game... but getting all the kids to play "tackle the teacher's husband (Mr. Bean)" is WAY more fun.

4. Kids singing is ALWAYS cuter with hand motions. AND hand motions are a great way to keep their attention.

3. Trying to sit still, raise your hand quietly, and use your "inside voice" actually is REALLY hard when a sticker is on the line. Also, I am a sucker and need to get more stickers... I hate leaving people out. AND circles are over rated - and not conducive for sticker giving.

2. Crafts always take longer than you plan for, are messier than you expect, and are just a lot of fun.

1. There is no better feeling than a child who is so absolutely excited to see you that they just run up and hug you.

Final thoughts:
I can't wait to have kids. BUT I am glad I was able to send all those kids (now exceptionally excited and wound up) home with their parents.

How do you get blue paint stains off of your hands?

Children - their smiles, their innocence, their enthusiasm, their playful and loving personalities - are the perfect answer to all the worlds problems.

My challenge to anyone - go spend some time in the company of a child and its your life that will be made better.

Categories: , , , ,

0 Response for the "Painting with preschoolers"

Post a Comment