Tiny Flecks of Love - Valentine Countdown part 1

Posted by Annie On 2/08/2011 11:17:00 AM 3 comments

For the rest of the week - leading up to Valentine's Day - I will be post about people who are the flecks of color in my life and encourage you to think about similar people in your lives. Comments are welcome - share the memories of special people in your life!

________________________________________

This weekend was full of a lot of things but certain things that stand out in my mind: Grandparents.

"What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies." - Rudolph Giuliani


We went on a short trip to South East Iowa for Chris' cousin's wedding - Congrats Billy and Jennifer!


Most of the time when we visit Mr. Bean’s old stomping grounds we stay with his “Oma and Opa” or grandparents on his mother’s side. These were some of the very first members of Mr. Bean’s family that I ever met… Mr. Bean’s friends, coworkers, professors, any one at Monmouth College, Central Lee High School, the theatre, or any person from any other organization my husband has EVER been affiliated with has probably met “Opa” first. He normally just walks up to people, sticks out a gnarly calloused hand, and says, “I’m Grandpa. Chris is my grandson.” He makes friends easily.

For breakfast Opa gets up at some ungodly hour and starts frying up what can only be about 3 pounds of bacon. It is a losing battle to even think about telling him we were trying to be vegetarian, because right after the bacon is fried eggs, toast, and orange rolls. Chocolate milk is always stocked for me…. Orange juice, coffee, water, a variety of jams… there is no diet at Oma and Opa’s house. And if you don’t eat… wait, who am I kidding?

Oma is a bit quieter. Often overshadowed by her husband, her children, and grandchildren - though she is a master quilter and her creations pay homage to what is incredible imagination, intelligence, and creativity. When she has something to say - and can get a word in - she often tells funny stories or just shares a bit of her every day life. She is sweet and patient and cares deeply for her grandchildren. And for her oldest grandson - there is always a sack of German anise cakes (his favorite cookie) waiting for him.

So! We stay at the farm and sleep over in the “boys room” which has curtains decorated with football teams, some of which I am sure have moved to different cities and have different names and carpet that looks like this:

Ellie isn’t allowed in the house, her name is often forgotten, and Opa normally makes some comment about “that dog” but in the end she is ridiculously spoiled just like we are.

Grandpa Walljasper can best be described as looking like John Wayne and having the patience of a saint. After the first round of grand kids grew up it seems as through the second wave moved in and stayed. At his house. This weekend we sat talking about "those girl", the computer (which he referred to as the Wii - I didn't have the heart to differentiate between the 2 different pieces of modern technology) and their "book...thing... what's the thing called? The book?" Grandma Walljasper is often cooking, cleaning, and traveling around for the kids - there are even a few who live there permanently. Grandpa gets in from the shop or fields, has a glass of Black Velvet with dinner and is serenaded by the new age noise of his extended off spring.
The enjoyment of Black Velvet whiskey must be a hereditary thing...
When Grandma Walljasper is not running around with grand kids you might find her at church. The Walljasper homestead is complete with a life size (at least 5 foot tall) Jesus and the two tablets of the 10 commandments on the front lawn. Inside could be one of the "Religious Supply" stores. She organizes a rosary rally every year, wears a WWJD ring on one finger, her wedding bands, and a ring not too unlike a super bowl victory ring with the Mother Mary in the center. She's the event planner - always making sure we have the up to date schedule of whose birthday party is when - Uncle Bobby's 90th birthday on February 25th at the restaurant in Burlington. It's a surprise. I'm not worried about spoiling it - I have no idea who Uncle Bobby is.

After the wedding festivities, a perfect night's sleep, and breakfast in the morning Mr. Bean and I were off to Chicago loaded up with cookies (homemade and store bought "sugar free" for Bean's diabetes), a 1/2 pound of colby jack cheese, a carton of chocolate milk, extra sandwiches for the road, a roll of quarters for laundry, and some extra for being in the "$20 club". We were going originally to get Chris' measurements taken for a kilt he needs from Scotland - that's another post for another day - and of course needed to stop by and see my Grandma Caravette.

Oh Grandma C, Grandma Coco, Nona ... whatever you want to call her... she is precious. About 5 foot tall - maybe 5'2". She is the center of my Mother's family - having raised all 14 children. She has worked at the same church for what seems like forever for really NOT enough pay. She has had a knee replaced, hip surgery, and foot surgery. She normally gets pushed around in a wheel chair on family vacations by my brother. Her response to being able to kiss the Pope's ring on a family trip to Rome a few years ago was, "Now I can die happy". She often has at least one of her 31 grandchildren at her house at any given time. But that night we had her all to ourselves. We were only stopping by for a quick moment... but that turned into having to have some soup, oh, and croissants. As we walked in the front door the super bowl blared from the living room and she says, "I'm for the Packers but I think Cincinnati just scored."

I didn't get a chance to see my Grandma "Boat", as she lives in Indiana and visiting a THIRD state in one weekend was just too insane. But I love her. She is wonderful and we share a ton of common interests. She broke my heart and simultaneously made my day a few months ago when she told me that I could have the HUGE doll house she made for my aunt - and that I played with growing up. It has real electricity. It was taller than me as a 5 year old. It has been forever a source of awe and enjoyment for years. It is perfectly my Grandmother and I cherish that she would share it with me.
____________________________________________

Grandparents are amazing things... the way they care for you, the way they love you, and worry, and make sure you not only have enough - but have MORE THAN enough.

My grandfathers both died while I was fairly young - and while I have a few fond memories of them, I am sad on the relationships I missed out on. When Mr. Bean gushes over his Grandpas or when they proudly give me a hug, I miss the other men in similar roles who are not still with me. It is hard to imagine future holidays without any of my Grandparents (by blood or marriage). Its impossible to share or convey to them how important they are - even with a little liquid courage.

This weekend we were able to see Chris' uncle in a fairly new role for him - Grandpa. Chris' cousin has two little ones ages 3 and 4. The opportunity to see them interact with their "Papa" - the way his face lit up with them around. The way his stoic, quiet personality, changed and became playful and fun. It was so fun - if I say "delightful" will I sound like a dork?

Probably.

Anyway, Mr. Bean's Dad visited his granddaughter the other day and immediately uploaded pictures onto Facebook. I am not normally around when he sees his first grandchild but you can just tell the sense of pride and joy.

In the end, it's made Mr. Bean and I so excited to have our own kids someday... I have always been excited to someday be a Mom, but I've really recently come to see a whole different relationship that will be created.  Its really come to my attention that these people are where I come from AND where I am going. That duality never really crossed my mind before, but there is so much of me that is inherently them. So much we share in common. Things I absolutely love about Mr. Bean, I can see in his father, and then trace it again to his grandfather. Someone made the comment this weekend to Jennifer and I that we are the only two women with the responsibility to "carry on" the Walljasper name. But it is so much more than that! It's more than just propagating a name. It's carrying on a way of life, a tradition of values. Someday (and I assure you this is not an "announcement post") when we have kids, I will be so excited to not only to have our own child but to then create that relationship that we ourselves enjoy with our grandparents.

Valentine's Day Love post #1 - love of a grandchild and a grandparent. I don't know what I'd do without my grandparents. Tell me about your grandparents... or your grandchildren. And then write them a note and tell them you love them!

Categories:

3 Response for the "Tiny Flecks of Love - Valentine Countdown part 1"

  1. J Jones says:

    Awww I love this! I believe I did meet Opa first! In fact, the first time I met him, I didn't think Oma was with him, but sure enough she was quietly following him.

  2. Unknown says:

    I LOVE this blog, Annie. Grandparents are super important. The only one I have left that I keep in contact with is my Grandma, but she means the world to me. And even though my grandfather passed away when I was 9, even today I still think of all the things he has missed as we've grown up and experiences that I didn't get to share with him. I wish he had been here for all the milestones over the years, but it's also great to have my grandma here and to be there for her as well.

  3. Annie says:

    Thanks for the post guys!

Post a Comment