A new beginning

Posted by Annie On 3/02/2010 07:17:00 AM 0 comments

Kurt Vonnegut writes in his book Timequake about his uncle, "talking about simple occasions, not great victories: maybe drinking lemonade on a hot afternoon in the shade, or smelling the aroma of a nearby bakery, or fishing and not caring if we catch anything or not, or hearing somebody all alone playing a piano really well in the house next door."

I am a worrier. I am a planner. I am a "sure I can do that" helper-outter. An overextended, highly committed, run run run, fill-your-day-up-until-might-die, please everyone person. And that's ok, because I can admit that and I can understand that and I am learning how to deal with that fact. I think most of us are that way too... maybe not to the same degree, maybe not in the same ways, but we like to be occupied. Maybe you don't go out of your way to make sure you help this year's christmas pagent at a church you wont even be attending on December 25, but we all fill ourselves up on something. Honestly, when it is finally time for me to collapse - my "me" time is consumed by a t.v., a video game, a book, sleep, talking on the phone... its filled up with something else. And none of those things are bad, they are just there. And they distract us.

I went to confession once, and talked with a priest about how I am just always looking ahead, unsure of the future, trying to make plans, trying to figure out the big questions, changing my mind... and essentially always looking forward to the next step. He told me to think about the phrase in the Lord's Prayer "give us this day our daily bread". Just give us what we need today and we will worry about the next day when it comes.

We hear this message all the time... slow down, stop and smell the roses. But it is honestly truly hard. We don't like the silence of a moment not filled up with something or other. But in that moment, the quickest fleeting piece of time, we can find joy. We can find the holy parts of our amazing life spinning around us.

What do you notice? What do you want to have noticed about you? Tiny Flecks of Color... one of my dearest friends is someone I can talk to about anything. She is adventurous, and confident, and beautiful. She makes her own paths, she is not afraid to stand out, and she enjoys even the most simple things around her. She inspires me to be more like her and find joy in the journey we are all on. One thing about this friend... she has beautiful eyes. Hazely green gray... but right there in her eye is a spot, a tiny fleck of brownish gold. It is so unique.

When I was a sad teenager without a boyfriend and low self-esteem, I would try to pick out one thing that some guy - the right guy - would like about me despite all my obvious flaws. I always came back to the thought that I had nice eyes. Sweet, huh?

The eyes. They open up a world of wonder to us all. When you think about it, the information they provide for us is astounding. But how often do we see? Really see... People are drawn to black and white photography - well maybe it is just me... but really its so different from what we have every day. And yet, there are days when I can drive from one side of town to the other and not even really remember what the drive was like. We go so fast that we miss so much of everything. Mahatma Ghandi once said, "There is more to life than increasing its speed" how counter cultural!! I have the internet, texting, messaging, email, camera, video camera, and games on my phone - oh yeah, and it can make a phone call! I check my facebook and twitter probably a million times a day. I want information on anything right.now. We want fast food, high speed internet, high powered engines, short lines, quick service, fast turn around, delivery on demand. Its so very black and white.

If I were my friend I would be heartwarmed by the obvious attention it would take for someone to notice and remember that fleck of color in my eye.

What do you notice? What do you pay attention to? What is the little glimmer of color that catches your attention today?

That's what this blog is about. Noticing the tiny miracles, the little burst of joy that surround us daily. If you are faithful... its about finding the Holy (who/whatever it may be) in the ordinary all around you.



My friend Ferris Bueller once said, "Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Categories:

0 Response for the "A new beginning"

Post a Comment